It was the end of the affair of New York Fashion Week, which of course promised to go out with a bang. Or you know, with some Beats by Dre. From art-inspired summer furs at J. Mendel to a very chic onesie at Ralph Lauren, here are the highlights from the last day of the New York City spring 2015 shows.
1. Ralph Lauren’s understatedly chic safari-meets-flight suit. It was a very Maharajah-meets-Out-of-Africa scene at Ralph Lauren’s spring 2015 show this morning, but our favorite look from the show was more Top Gun than anything else—and conveyed just the perfect amount of ease for the season ahead.
Photo: Fabio Iona/Indigitalimages.com
2. Exuberant furs at J. Mendel. We know, we know, fur for spring? But A) you really never can tell what the weather will do, these days, and B) you can’t do better than Gilles Mendel’s Enoc Perez–inspired toppers: frothy, finger-sinking fun for any season.
Photo: Monica Feudi/monicaguaineri.com
3. Chloë Sevigny’s “kids.” From two teenage girls singing “I’ll Be Your Mirror” to another twirling a baton, Chloë Sevigny’s choice to go elsewhere than modeling agencies to help show her collection was a welcome break from some of the de rigeur shows of the week.
Photo: Courtesy of Opening Ceremony
4. Juan Carlos Obando goes louche and lovely. From loosely knotted evening gowns to an undone take on a Le Smoking, Obando stepped it up in the evening department.
Photo: Courtesy of Amanda Mira
5. The immersive Marc Jacobs experience. With Beats By Dre at every seat playing an instructional narrative (a computerized-male operating system that brought to mind a sort of Spike Jonze–ian universe, orchestrated by Pulp bassist Steve Mackey), a 10,000-square-foot hot pink house replete with shocking pink carpet, Jacobs delivered us a new world, yet again.
Photo: Courtesy of Marc Jacobs International